Wednesday, December 12, 2007

After the Cuts - The Story Isn't Over

The following is excerpted from my blog posted yesterday at the Strategy Lab Open Contest I am participating in:

I had been postulating that the Feds would certainly cut and they may use shock and awe again. The Fed did cut but didn't go with the shock and awe immediately. However, the story is far from over. I had also mentioned that the Fed could induce the shock and awe in a different way this time - doing some more radical moves in the coming days such as bigger liquidity injections into the markets or another surprise cut before the January announcement. The latter may sound outlandish while the former is very very possible. But the fact is both of these remain possibilities along with any kind of a measure where the Fed could show some nimbleness just to let the markets know they are still in control. And if it doesn't, you can start counting Ben's last few days.

Now what after the cuts? - The markets tanked because it wasn't an immediate shock and awe. Unfortunately the deep plunge didn't give me enough chance to place all the ultra shorts trades I was fantasizing about. But I chased the momentum before it was too late, and immediately added the ultra shorts on Russell 2000. Other than that, I have kept all other positions unchanged. I will sell these shorts in a day or two and here is why.

I still believe we have more of upside left than downside beyond a 1-2 day horizon as I mentioned in the post just before the cuts. One thing is for sure - as the market digests the Fed speak, they will realize that hey that wicked "uncertainty" phrase leaves the possibility for more rate cuts. Meaning the easing will continue. This along with lot of money on the sidelines will have to play together and create a positive atmosphere as we go into the year end.
In one of my prior posts I had also mentioned that 1475 is the key level for S&P 500. We are very close to that at the Market's close (1477 and change). Not to mention there is lot of support at 1460 and 1440 levels too.

Finally, notice how the markets behaved after the last two cuts. It surged and then tanked in the coming weeks. We are to a certain extent seeing the reversal today. And the only way for the reversal to play is to eventually surge in intermediate term. The big question is - will it be soon enough so that some of us strategy lab contestants can recover on their existing positions? I say yes.

And one last thought. Hey Ben, if you are reading this, two things - (a) it is spelled as a "cut" not with a silent 0.25 but a loud "0.5", and (b) all along I was thinking you knew something that I didn't. Your notes with a generous usage of the word "uncertainty" makes me think I was wrong. And that is scary, Mr Chairman.

Krish Rathi

No comments: